19 September 2008

The Genius I Was

This past week has been so engrossing that it's left me spent, with little but a modified cliche:

Even the sun shines on the Pig's ass some days.

The Trashcan Sinatras' song, "The Genius I Was" came to my mind repeatedly this afternoon. Here's the Trashcans' crap video of that lovely song from their brilliant but obscure 1996 record, A Happy Pocket:



So why am I thinking I'm either lucky, or a genius?

The proof is in the pudding, otherwise known as this week's trades.

Ha! I knew I had another cliche in me.

Today's transactions:

- Sold half my remaining position in the ultra-long financials (UYG) at $22.095 from a cost basis of $17.4825 for a gain of 26.4%.

- Sold 2K shares of AIG too effin' early at $3.01 from a cost basis of $2.52 for a gain of 19.4%.

Now I'm mostly in cash, trying to figure out what's next. I'm keeping my eye on gold (GLD) and buttressed-by-the-government AIG on any pullbacks. Also looking to cash out of my ultra-long S&P500 ETF (SSO) soon and eventually return to the short side via the ultra-short S&P500 ETF (SDS). Finally, I look forward to unloading the remaining position in UYG with the idea of trading UYG and its ultra-short counterpart SKF back-and-forth if it continues to be rewardingly volatile.

No comments: