06 December 2008

Cattle and Cane



Above is a clip of the Go-Betweens from the That Striped Sunlight Sound DVD where Robert explains his first hearing Grant's composition, Cattle and Cane. And then they perform it.

Here's more on the song from Wikipedia:

In May 2001 "Cattle and Cane", written by McLennan and Forster,[1] was selected by Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA) as one of the Top 30 Australian songs of all time.[2] McLennan described writing the song:

I wrote (the song) to please my mother. She hasn't heard it yet because my mother and stepfather live (on a cattle station) and they can't get 240 volts electricity there, so I have to sing it over the phone to her [...] I don't like the word nostalgic; to me, it's a sloppy yearning for the past, and I'm not trying to do that in that song. I'm just trying to put three vignettes of a person, who's a lot like myself, growing up in Queensland, and just juxtaposing that against how I am now.[3]

—Grant McLennan, 1983


And here is the original video from 1983:

No comments: